Tuesday 12 June 2012

Latest Celeb Feud: Lady Gaga hits back at Madonna

She has stayed silent following Madonna's most recent dig over the similarities between her single Born This Way and its resemblance to the Material Girl's hit Express Yourself.

But now Lady Gaga appears to have hit back in a thinly veiled attack on Madonna's decision to perform a mash up of the two songs during rehearsal for her latest tour.

According to reports, Gaga, 26, made a few choice comments during a concert last week in Auckland, New Zealand.

'It sometimes makes people feel better about themselves to put other people down or make fun of them or maybe make mockery of their work,' she told the audience in between songs. 

'And that doesn’t make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I'm not a good human being,' she added, according to The Huffington Post.

'I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music. Because that's really all I care about, is the music.'

And although the star didn't mention Madonna by name, the remarks she made seemed to be directed at the older star - who first became famous back in 1983 with hit single Holiday.

'Things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes Born This Way so relevant for me,' said Gaga, real name Stefani, Germanotta, who suffered a concussion during Sunday's Auckland concert when a pole hit her over the head,

'We're socially in a different place and it's OK, we don't have to all slice and hate each other anymore.'

Gaga's comments came after Madonna covered her song Born This Way, mashing it up with Express Yourself on the first concert of her MDNA tour.

She was filmed rehearsing in Israel for the tour taking what appeared to be a swipe at her younger contemporary.

As she was practising her moves for Express Yourself, the song then went into a percussion break before Madonna launched into Born This Way.

She then mashed Express Yourself back into the song before she started to sing She's Not Me from her 2008 album Hard Candy.

When Gaga's song came out in May last year, Madonna said: 'I thought, "What a wonderful way to redo my song". I mean, I recognised the chord changes. I thought it was... interesting.'

She also told Cynthia McFadden on 20/20: 'When I heard it on the radio, I said "that sounds very familiar". It feels reductive.'

But Gaga defended herself and retorted: 'That's retarded. If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities is the chord progression.

'It's the same one that's been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I'm the first f****** artist in 25 years to thinking of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn’t mean I'm a plagiarist, it means I’m f****** smart. Sorry.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...